- City Clerk
- Birth certificates
- Requesting Certified Birth Certificates
Requesting Certified Birth Certificates
How to Order a Certified Copy
To order a certified, legal copy of a birth certificate, if the birth occurred in Lewiston, Maine, or if the mother of the child was living in Lewiston, Maine at the time of the birth, please complete and print a Birth Certificate Order Form. Certified copies can be purchased in person at the City Clerk’s Office or ordered through the mail.
You may also write, email or fax the City Clerk’s Department a letter including the following information:
- Full name of the child including first, middle, and last name
- Date of birth
- Child’s parent A’s full name
- Child’s parent B’s full name
- Your relationship to the child named on the birth certificate
- The name and mailing address where we should send the certificates and the number of certified copies you are requesting
- Number of certified copies you are ordering
- Please include a self addressed stamped Number 10 (business size) envelope. (If mailing in your request.)
- Applicable identification and payment. Please see additional information below.
Proof of Identification & Lineage Required
In order for a person to obtain a certified copy of a birth, marriage, or death record, the requestor must present proof of identification. They must also present proof of direct and legitimate interest in the record if they are acquiring a record other than their own record. Please review all allowable forms of identification and ways to establish eligibility.
To authorize someone else to obtain a certified birth certificate for you, please complete an Authorization to Release a Vital Record Form.
The fee for a certified copy is $15. Each additional copy (of the same record) ordered at the same time is $6. Please make check or money order payable to "The City of Lewiston." Please note that the city also accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Discover credit card payments. Both the application form and/or the letter of request may be mailed, emailed or faxed to:
Mail: City Clerk’s Department, 27 Pine St., Lewiston, ME 04240-7297
Note: Please include a self-addressed stamped Number 10 (business size) envelope if mailing in your request. To find out the mailing address of other municipal clerk offices in Maine, please visit a listing of the other municipal clerks and registrars.